These notes came from chapter 12 in Public Relations: Strategies and Tactics. This chapter was about public relations and the law. I pretty much just took vocabulary from this chapter.
- Libel is a printed falsehood.
- Slander is an oral statement that is false.
- Defamation is the combination of libel and slander.
- Invasion of privacy is an area of law that particularly applies to employees of an organization. Public relation staff must be particularly sensitive to the issue of privacy in at least four areas:
- Employee newsletters
- Photo releases
- Product publicity and advertising
- Media inquiries about employees.